Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Random Act of Kindness 37: Sharing A Coke


There seems to be a lot of construction going on in my town. Hammering, saws, cranes, falling wood and drilling fills the air instead of tweeting birds. 

Most mornings I sink into my pillow, shoving parts of my blanket into the sides of my head to block out the sounds and hoping I can get back to sleep. Today, this tactic didn't work.  

I was really annoyed with all the sounds till I decided to change my perspective on the situation. I know that construction workers may seem like they are making noise and holding up traffic but really they are making a town better. They are installing new sidewalks making walking safer, adding buildings making the downtown area thrive, and adding sewer mains making sure our community has water. 

I decided to embraced the noise and went on a walking tour of my town's improvements. I was really surprised and happy to see four women in a group of 10 multi-cultural male construction workers. The men and women were respectful of each other as they went over the construction plans. They were collaborating well together. There were no tense faces, no anger and there seemed to be a genuine sense of respect between all the workers. 

I decided to go home, bring the whole crew some Coca-Cola to toast the improvements on my town and to celebrate how well different races and different genders can get along when given a common goal. Cheers to construction works. Thanks for making my town a little better. 

(P.S. If you can start drilling at 11 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. I'd really appreciate it!) 

If you like my posts, please like me on Facebook, add me on G+
follow me on Twitter, and check out my Pinterest. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment