Friday, January 3, 2014

Random Act of Kindness 3: Groceries



Today I was checking out of Whole Foods Market, 4800 El Camino Real, Los Altos, CA 94022, under the care of my favorite grocer. She asked me how my dog, Ruby, was. She remembered that the last time I saw her, I was crying in the check out lane and was in a hurry. My boyfriend had called moments earlier and said my dog was going to the hospital and that she wasn't feeling well. 

Anyone with a pet knows that pets aren't just animals but they are family. She was very kind and helped me get out of the grocery store as quickly as possible. It really made my day that she would remember to ask about her. Great customer service.

It reminded me that kindness is all around us. It's in the small interactions, thoughtful comments, and simplest of acts.

As I was about to check out, I noticed that I still had an old Visa gift card in my wallet. That is when I decided I was going to buy the groceries for the woman behind me.

I asked her, "Can I buy your groceries for you?"

She looked happy and embarrassed at the same time. She said, "No thanks. Maybe you can offer it to someone else." We looked around and there was no one behind her. I was happy she was stuck.

I introduced myself and let her know that I didn't want anything in return and that it would make my day if I could buy her groceries for her.

"I decided I was going to do something good for someone everyday this year. So if you can let me do this for you, it would mean a lot to me." I said.

"I'm Diana," she said, "I understand. You want me to pay it forward."

"You can pay it forward, if you want," I said. "But mostly I just want to do something nice for you."

With that, she agreed.

Later, Diana saw me putting my groceries into my car, waved goodbye and stated, "I'll pay it forward. You've inspired me!"

It left a burning happy feeling in my heart for the rest of the day. Thanks Diana. 

If you like my posts, please like me on Facebook, add me on G+
follow me on TwitterFlickr and check out my Pinterest. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment