Friday, February 14, 2014

Random Acts of Kindness 35: Valentine's Day


Do you remember being in grade school when Valentine's day was really exciting? 

You would go to the store and pick out little cardboard cards that best represented your personality. You would take them home, tear open the box and marvel at the designs, what they said and start deciding which one of your friends were going to get each cards.   

In school, I remember transforming a brown paper bag into a work of art. That simple paper bag became a special container where love would get thrown in. I remember walking past my classmates' desks distributing valentines' and candy into each bag. One of the best feelings in the world, was knowing that when you got back to your desk, your little bag would be filled with unexpected surprises and possibly treats. Every message made you feel special. 

Sadly as we got older we no longer see the amazing transformative power of decorating paper bags and little cardboard cards. 

Today I wanted to bring back that special feeling of being a child. It's the feeling of getting something without asking, that little piece of paper that reminds you that you are special, and that tiny bit of happiness that comes when someone gives you a valentine. 

So I headed to downtown Los Altos today and passed out 75 Valentine's Day candy grams. 

I thought I was doing something nice for people but really what I received in return was better. The appreciation, the "Happy Valentine's Day to you too", and the warm smiles really made my day. 

A special thank you to a lovely lady to who asked me, "why are you doing this?" 

The question really made me flustered so I doubt I made any sense. To answer her question.... I do it because our day to day interactions with the people around us and our impact on the world determines what kind of world we are going to live in. I want it to be a good world, so I am trying to play my small part in making this world a little nicer for the next generation. Showing people that doing kind things for others is easy might inspire someone to be kind to the next person they meet.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!


If you like my posts, please like me on Facebook, add me on G+
follow me on Twitter, and check out my Pinterest. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment