Thursday, January 30, 2014

Random Act of Kindness 30: 10BooksAHome.org


One of my favorite charities in the Bay Area is 10 Books A Home. 10 Books A Home (10BH) is an East Palo Alto based 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides a free home tutoring and book donation program to at-risk preschoolers. 10BH works in a school district where only 22% of 3rd grade students read at grade level and more than 60% of students eventually drop out of high school.

I would really like to be a tutor for their program but unfortunately there is a 6 month time commitment that I am unable to commit to because of work. 

Like most people I think that there isn't anything that I can do but honestly sometimes you just need to ask. So I called the CEO, Paul, and asked him if I could donate three hours of my day to help out. He was happy to accept the help and assigned me to quality assurance. I spent three hours helping the charity review work flow documents. It's not a glamorous job but it's great to be able to help the organization with their mission to help children. I know that three hours of my time means that they can dedicate three additional hours to the kids instead of paperwork. 

If you are interested in volunteering for 10BH, you can write them at: volunteer@10booksahome.org or check them out at http://www.10booksahome.org

If you like my posts, please like me on Facebook, add me on G+
follow me on Twitter, and check out my Pinterest. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment